Mikey and I have completed quite a bit of work on a bit of music; in case anyone doesn’t know, or hasn’t remembered, my little brother and I have begun some recording. There are several motivating factors, including one huge project behind it, but mostly it is for fun and the collaborative effort.
The full story began when he approached me about recording some things he’d been working on for the bass, and that led to us getting together and rolling while he simply played a few random riffs and pieces. Five minutes later, we sat to listen and review it, when the first minute’s worth of playback struck me as perfect for a song I’ve been writing since recording sessions going back to last summer and autumn.
A quick key change and a little re-writing later, and we began writing the basslines into the song as I’d written it, and then began recording it to a metronome. Today he came by to finish that task, laying the groove down a half dozen times for us to work with. I can record the intended guitars over it, but the real challenge is actually going to be using the drum sampling software to put a proper, usable beat in the background.
But anyway, it’s laid down a huge portion of the work for us, and now I’ll tackle the beat, lay the guitars, and the difficult part will truly begin. But in all of this, I’ve begun recording some of the riffs and ideas I’ve had in order to bank them for future sessions. And there are still four minutes of his original demo reel to cull ideas from… I’ve got a good feeling about these sessions in the future. We’ll be posting a preview of the results very soon.